March 05, 2007

I Believed in You


Take this kiss upon the brow! And, in parting from you now, Thus much let me avow - You are not wrong who deem, That my days have been a dream; Yet if hope has flown away In a night, or in a day, In a vision, or in none, Is it therefore the less gone? All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream.’ (Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849)

i believed in you
in the things you said
you saw my vulnerabilities;
my pain -
without deception or disguise.
you saw desire I could not hide,
you looked at me and saw inside
and i believed in you.

i fell into your words, your promises;
i lost myself in who i thought you were
made myself blind to the intolerable
and the unacceptable.
and when it was good,
it was so very good -
because i believed in you

but you couldn’t live up to
the image I had of you –
no one could.
you see, it wasn’t real.
it was all that i made myself believe.
i wanted and needed, in the town of
Perfection – a place i’ve never seen,
but i thought existed
because i believed in you.

my desire to keep and love you were so strong
that i became someone i didn't even know.
so you couldn't love me
because you never actually knew me.
i'm a total stranger
but i still believed in you

you were the best and worst
that ever happened to me.
you showed me the worst of
what man is capable of
and forced me to dig deep
and discover the best of me.
one time, too many, while believing in you
you let me down.
and God made it clear that i should have
believed in Him, instead.
and He taught me to believe in me
now the journey is so much more worthwhile.

my belief in ME and my abilities AND my expectations for love and relationships are now unshakable, undeniable, unwavering, very realistic, and rock solid.

all because i believed in you.

thank you.


©TonyaC2007
artwork: “Love Supreme”, Alonzo Adams

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had to do a double take my sista! tapping into words that I have hidden in my heart, and worked out with God. Yet in still it was if a part of my journal had gotten into the hands of another, because "I BELIEVED IN YOU" tells...no told the story of my life.... God bless you for being lead by Him, and allowing your life's experiences to be ministering unto more than you will ever realize.

ALL PRAISES TO GOD!