October 10, 2006

I'm Still Here

artwork: "Pure" -C'babi Bayoc

despite any attempts to stop me
to strip me
to hurt me
to demean me
I’m still here.

despite the obvious disdain for my existence
and overall disrespect for my life
irregardless of the constant and continuous put downs
the regulated and ridiculous ridicule
the demeaning and debasing disdain
I’m still here.

I cried
I screamed
I yelled
I threw things.

I calmed down
I accepted
I prayed and
I let go.
I overcame
I excelled.

‘he’ said I wouldn’t make it
‘she’ said I couldn’t do it
‘they’ said I wouldn’t succeed
‘they’ said many negative things
had me thinking that I had no purpose
had me believing that I was worthless
and ‘they’ didn’t even know me.

‘they’ saw the physical
but did not take into account
the mental resolve
the spiritual determination
‘they’ should NEVER count me out!

‘they’ see me now
‘they’ currently have NOTHING to say
‘cause
I’m still here.

by the grace of God
I’m still here.

copyright ©2006 Tonya C
(Thursday August 31, 2006 - 11:14pm (EDT))

No comments: